If you’re suffering from chronic or frequent headaches that interfere with your work or life, you probably feel as if you’ve tried everything. However, if you haven’t visited your chiropractor, you may not be addressing the root cause of your headaches. Chiropractic care might be just what it takes to alleviate headaches that haven’t responded to other cares. For more information regarding the benefits of chiropractic care contact Piché Family Chiropractic in Traverse City, Michigan, today.
Headaches Q & A
What causes headaches?
In very few cases (around 5%), headaches are an indication of an underlying disease or process that requires treatment. In the remaining instances (95% of cases), headaches are the primary concern rather than any underlying condition. And of these cases, the vast majority are caused by muscle tension in the neck.
Not all headaches are created equally. Drs. Joe and Lea have decades of experience to help determine the best course of care if you are suffering from headaches. Headaches caused by neck tension can be the result of your posture, sitting in front of a computer, spending a lot of time behind the wheel, performing physical work that requires you to work in less-than-ideal positions, or even stress.
How can a chiropractor help alleviate tension headaches?
Dr. Joe Piché and Dr. Lea Piché can help you with your tension headaches by:
- Performing spinal adjustments to alleviate misalignments that contribute to muscle strain in the neck
- Applying tension to the spine to alleviate pressure on nerves and discs
- Offering advice on ergonomics and posture that can prevent the problem from occurring again
- Offering more information on exercises and relaxation techniques that can prevent future problems
Do chiropractic adjustments hurt?
Dr. Joe Piché and Dr. Lea Piché offer gentle and specific neck care to alleviate headaches without causing you pain. Most patients report that adjustments feel good. Although the adjustment itself doesn’t usually hurt, it’s common to feel sore for the 24 hours following an adjustment and notice significant relief after that.
What are the benefits of chiropractic care for headaches?
There are many benefits when you seek chiropractic care for headaches, including:
- Relief without drugs, which are accompanied by risk of serious side effects and/or adverse reactions
- Care of the real problem, which provides long-term relief rather than temporary relief
- Cost savings, as chiropractor appointments are less expensive than appointments with your primary care doctor and are usually covered by insurance
What can I do at home to supplement my chiropractor’s care?
There are several things you can do at home to prevent future headaches after receiving a chiropractic adjustment. Be mindful of your posture, pulling your shoulders back and straightening your back when sitting or standing. Avoid slouching as much as possible (it takes conscious effort). Exercise regularly to strengthen the muscles of your back, neck, and shoulders. Finally, if you spend a lot of time in front of a computer, take a break to stretch every 30 minutes.